|Company:||The Australian Building and Construction Commission|
|Apps close:||Wednesday 25th September 2019|
The Australian Building and Construction Commission (ABCC) promotes understanding and enforces compliance with Australia’s workplace laws in the building and construction industry.
We do this by:
• providing information and resources
• advising and assisting everyone to understand their rights and obligations
• impartially monitoring and assessing compliance
• using the full range of enforcement options to address non-compliance.
About the role
We have an exciting fixed term opportunity for a motivated EL 1 Senior Lawyer to join our Legal team.
In this coveted role you will be part of a regional team responsible for delivering legal services to the agency. These services include providing legal advice and assistance to Inspectors during the course of their investigations, assessing briefs of evidence and managing and/or conducting litigation commenced before relevant courts and tribunals.
You will be required to manage external relationships, including with counsel and external legal providers, and also take responsibility for corporate governance compliance matters including record keeping and reporting requirements for work undertaken.
We are seeking an enthusiastic applicant who has:
• Knowledge or ability to quickly acquire knowledge, of applicable Australian workplace laws, such as the Building and Construction Industry (Improving Productivity) Act 2016, the Fair Work Act 2009, and the Building Codes.
• Demonstrated litigation experience, preferably in a relevant regulatory environment.
• Strong research, analytical and conceptual skills, with the ability to analyse cases and develop legal advice.
• High level interpersonal skills, and written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a team to meet deadlines and manage work priorities while ensuring a high degree of accuracy.
• Admission as a legal practitioner.
What you’ll get in return
You will be joining an adaptive, high performing and inclusive Commission. We actively encourage applications from Indigenous Australians, people with disability, people from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds and people who identify as LGBTIQ+.
You will receive high quality training and support (both formal and on-the-job), flexible work options and family friendly work practices, access to an employee benefits scheme and an attractive base salary of $107,877 plus 15.4% superannuation. This is a fixed term opportunity for a minimum of six months with the possibility of 12 months.
What you need to do now
If this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you, it is important that you review the candidate information kit on our website for instructions on how to apply.
If you have questions regarding the role, you can contact Joshua Banks on (03) 8509 3028 for more information.
To be eligible for employment at the ABCC, you must be an Australian Citizen and agree to pre-employment screening. This may include a criminal history (police) check, health clearances and character checks. Some positions may require additional checks to be performed and require a security clearance.
Applications close 11:30PM AEST, Wednesday 25 September 2019.