|Salary:||Attractive salary and superannuation package|
|Company:||Electrical Trades Union Queensland and Northern Territory Branch|
|Telephone:||07 3846 2477|
|Apps close:||Friday 17th September 2021|
The Electrical Trades Union, Queensland and Northern Territory Branch (the ETU) is a Union with a proud history of more than 100 years representing members across Queensland and the Northern Territory.
We are a progressive union that represents more than 12,000 members working across a range of industries, including the electrical contracting industry, the electrical supply and generation industries, the resources sector, the manufacturing industry and State and Local Governments. Our members perform work across a range of skills, classifications and occupations.
We strive to represent our members and protect the integrity of the electrical trade. We value diversity and oppose any form of discrimination.
Overview of position
The Legal/Industrial Officer will play an important role in developing and implementing the union’s legal and industrial strategies. The role requires the ability to manage a range of complex technical, legal and industrial matters to a high standard, with minimal supervision.
The role requires a high level of understanding of the federal and state industrial relations systems and demonstrated high level negotiation and advocacy skills.
The Legal/Industrial Officer will report directly to the Union Secretary.
The position works closely with the Branch Secretary, Assistant Secretaries, Organisers, and other members of the Industrial Office.
The Legal Officer will be required to perform a diverse range of work, which may include:
• Providing accurate and up to date legal and industrial advice to officers, organisers and members of the Union which takes into account the strategic priorities of the ETU QLD & NT.
• Preparing and filing applications, providing advice and advocacy for a range of industrial matters including Dismissals; General Protections Matters; Enterprise Bargaining and bargaining related matters; Disputes; Underpayment of wages; Discrimination and Harassment Claims; and Applications in relation to Industrial Action.
• Identifying and providing advice on governance issues that impact on the Union, including compliance with relevant legislation, and elections.
• Preparation of submissions to Government and other bodies.
• Undertaking project work as required.
Relevant legal qualifications with a focus on, or experience in, workplace law.
Hold, or be eligible to hold, an unsupervised practising certificate as a solicitor in Queensland and the High Court of Australia
Required knowledge and experience
To be successful in the role you will:
• Post – admission experience in the areas of employment and industrial relations law in both the Federal and State Industrial Relations Systems;
• Previous experience in the conduct of complex matters end to end, with minimal supervision; and
• Sound knowledge of the Federal Court, Magistrates Court, Industrial Relations Commission/s processes, practices and policies and confidence in appearing in those jurisdictions.
• Demonstrated ability in a similar role;
• Well-developed negotiation and advocacy skills.
• High level analytical and communication skills.
• Understanding of ETU QLD & NT, our membership, key industries, the union’s direction and capacity to apply these to the union’s industrial, legal and bargaining strategy or the ability to develop this understanding.
• Ability to use Microsoft applications including Word and Excel
Demonstrated commitment to union values, diversity and inclusion.
Enthusiastic, able to work autonomously, exercise initiative and individual judgement.
Flexible work arrangements may be considered.
To apply, please email a resume and short cover letter outlining your skills and experience relevant to the role to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5.00pm Friday 17 September 2021.