|Company:||Australian Security and Investments Commission|
|Apps close:||Sunday 7th February 2021|
• Utilise your employee relations expertise in a diverse role
• Temporary 18-month role
• Sydney location
A future with ASIC means that your work will contribute to ASIC's vision for a fair, strong and efficient financial system for all Australians. We value what you will bring. We value those with sharp, analytical minds and are open to challenging the way things are done.
People & Development are responsible for delivering people initiatives that are aligned with business strategy. The team delivers initiatives, advice and services that support Senior Executives, Managers and employees during their careers with ASIC.
As an Employee Relations Lawyer, you will be required to:
• Advise on a range of employment law and industrial relations issues and cascade information to the P&D team and the business.
• Advise and guide P&D team members on legal risk and best strategy in managing complex employment and industrial issues and escalate to the Senior Legal Manager on potential Fair Work claims or serious and complex matters;
• Maintain the Employee Relations Case Tracker;
• Write reports and prepare papers for the Senior Legal Manager, Employee Relations for the Commission and the Executive leadership on employee relations or industrial issues which may affect ASIC or pose a risk to ASIC;
• Draft advices, documents and reports to support the Senior Legal Manager, Employee Relations in negotiations, consultation meetings, meetings with unions and employee claims;
• Assist the Senior Legal Manager, Employee Relations on major projects.
• Prepare documents/data/reports to support the Senior Legal Manager, Employee Relations for negotiations or consultation meetings; including drafting of any papers/letters/ minutes and scheduling of meetings with Unions etc.
• Prepare employee relations reports/ highlighting trends / providing trend analysis to Senior P&D Business Partners
• Draft and amend policies based on workplace legislation or emerging P&D related needs; including reviewing other P&D policies to ensure risk management of employment issues, maintaining current knowledge and sharing information on employee relations and employment law developments;
• Facilitate training to the P&D team on performance management, conducting workplace investigations and other employment law issues; and
• Assist in the procurement process for legal advice or other consultant advice.
This is a fast-paced role in which you may be required to advise the business on short notice on the best strategy to manage an employment law or industrial issue.
• A degree in Law from an Australian University, and eligibility for admission, to the Supreme court of NSW
• Substantial post-admission relevant practice experience in the area of employment law/industrial relations. Ideally you have gained some of this experience in private practice.
• Capable of providing practical legal advice on a range of complex issues in the area of workplace relations, or a regulatory environment.
• Experience working for the Commonwealth Government would be a bonus.
• Able to produce work autonomously with a proven track-record of achieving results within short timeframes.
• Excellent knowledge of the Fair Work Act 2009 and other commonwealth workplace laws;
• Experience in conducting litigation (workplace relations preferred);
• Experience in dealing with unions;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Ability to effectively convey an opinion, position or counter-position on a matter;
Our Values: Accountability. Professionalism. Teamwork.
ASIC is a values-driven organisation and our values underpin everything we do. Values guide the way we work, the way we make decisions and how we interact with each other, our customers and our stakeholders.
Want to know more?
ASIC offers flexibility and is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. To learn more about building your career with ASIC, refer to the ASIC Careers Guide which is located on our Careers at ASIC website.
In accordance with the Australian Government Security Policy, all personnel that are engaged by ASIC are required to complete a security assessment (ASIC Suitability and Baseline assessment).
For further details please visit: https://careers.asic.gov.au/jobtools/jncustomsearch.viewFullSingle?in_organid=16529&in_jnCounter=224410325