|Apps close:||Friday 4th December 2020|
1. An awareness of the political, social and economic factors that influence the role of trade unions in Australia.
2. A commitment to Union values.
3. Capacity to develop the skills necessary to be an effective Union organiser.
4. A commitment to undertake formal and on-the-job training.
5. Excellent communication skills, including the ability to handle objections and project a positive and professional impression of the Union.
6. Highly developed interpersonal skills with the ability to talk to workers on the telephone, face to face, via email and in a group setting.
7. Ability to perform under pressure both independently and as part of a team.
8. Proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
9. Possession of a current driver’s license.
Organisers expected to perform the following tasks:
• Conduct recruitment conversations with potential members.
• Conduct site meetings with members and potential members and effectively convey a message.
• Conduct meetings with groups of potential members for the purposes of recruitment.
• Recruit members within a workplace to the role of workplace delegate or another workplace activist position.
• Provide tasks to workplace delegate or activist.
• Use and interpret an industrial instrument (Award or Agreement) to provide a member with information and advice about their entitlements and conditions of employment.
• Conduct wage claims for members in relation to a suspected underpayment of an Award or Agreement entitlement including undertaking an initial assessment of the claim, performing necessary calculations and taking any enforcement steps up to the point where legal action is required, such as raising the claim with the employer.
• Undertake site safety inspections including identifying potential safety issues, ensuring that they are resolved and making any necessary reports as required.
• Undertake enterprise bargaining negotiations.
• Conduct effective workplace site mapping including the identification of growth opportunities, and utilise the information for organising campaigns.
• Write complex documents on a political, industrial or social issue relevant to the work of the Union.
• Any other tasks as directed by the Branch Executive.
To apply please send a cover letter, resume and response to the selection criteria via email to ACTqueries@cfmeu.org, using the subject line: Organiser application via Workplace Express