|Salary:||Negotiable depending on experience|
|Company:||Professionals Australia (APESMA)|
|Telephone:||0401 935 064|
|Apps close:||Friday 21st August 2020|
Position: National Industrial Officer / Lawyer (Workplace Advice & Support)
Employer: Professionals Australia (APESMA)
Professionals Australia is a registered trade union representing 25,000 professionals in diverse industries across Australia. Working in critical areas of the economy, our members are highly skilled and work in demanding roles.
There is a vacancy for a full - time National Industrial Officer/Lawyer (Workplace Advice & Support), based in Melbourne.
This position is suited to a person who has been admitted to practice as a lawyer, and has 2+ years experience working in the field of employment law / industrial relations.
The National Industrial Officer / Lawyer position is part of the Association’s Workplace Advice and Support Team, which is a team of lawyers and industrial officers that provide advice and representation to the association’s members about their employment issues
Working as part of the National Legal & Industrial Team, based in Melbourne and reporting to the Director Industrial Relations, you will be allocated the conduct of cases for Professionals Australia members after the member’s query has first gone through an initial triage process.
Your duties will include:
- The provision of legal and industrial advice, including advising on employment contracts and a wide range of queries relating to employment;
- Providing support and advice to members on all matters relating to their employment, including the application of Awards, Enterprise Agreements, and relevant legislation; and
- Providing representation and advocacy on behalf of members before industrial tribunals (e.g. Fair Work Commission) and courts (primarily the Federal Court of Australia and Federal Circuit Court).
- You will also have the opportunity to advise members and internal stakeholders on collective industrial matters such as industrial disputes and issues arising out of enterprise agreements and campaigns.
- Leading and mentoring more junior members of the National Legal and Industrial Team by example.
The position would suit someone with 2+ years employment law / industrial relations experience.
A demonstrable commitment to trade union values and a keen interest in industrial relations are essential.
A good knowledge of contemporary industrial relations issues and state and federal industrial legislation are required.
The ability to manage a variety of tasks and meet deadlines, problem solving skills and the ability to use initiative are also required.
A demonstrated high level of verbal and written communication skills and the ability to deal with people that may be under stressful situations are essential.
A legal qualification is required as well as admission to practise in Victoria. A candidate who holds an unrestricted practising certificate will be preferred, however we will also consider candidates with the required experience who are eligible and willing to apply for a practising certificate.
The successful applicant will have access to a professional development program.
Employee benefits include:
• 4 weeks’ annual leave per year;
• Additional paid leave between Christmas and New Year;
• Access to monthly RDOs;
• Flexible start and finish times (within reason).
Send Application to:
Applications for this position, marked "Confidential", should be addressed to:
Ms Mirna Oghanna
For further information and a preliminary discussion:
Contact: Michelle Anthony
Title: Acting Director Industrial Relations
Address: Professionals Australia: 152 Miller Street, West Melbourne VIC 3003
Phone: 0401 935 064
Applications close: Close of Business Friday 21 August 2020