|Salary:||Commensurate with experience|
|Company:||Transport Workers’ Union of Australia|
|Telephone:||02 8114 6500|
|Apps close:||Friday 4th September 2020|
The Transport Workers’ Union of Australia (TWU) is one of Australia’s leading campaigning trade unions. Our union fights to grow power give transport workers from traditional and emerging sectors a powerful voice in support of social and economic justice.
We have an ambitious plan to lift industry standards across suply chains through comprehensive campaigns and strategic action and we are looking for passionate, creative and hardworking officials to help us deliver the plan.
The Industrial Inspectorate’s role will be to utilise industrial and WHS/OHS legislation and instruments to identify strategic and systematic breaches on sites for campaigning and prosecution. This role will play a key part in lifting standards across transport supply chains and within target companies and fights. At times this role will need to combat hostile employers. In addition, this role will mentor and develop organising and industrial staff around the country in how to best roll out strategic inspections and audits at a site, company and supply chain level.
The successful candidate will:
• Conduct site inspections and audits (industrial and WHS)
• Identify breaches of industrial and WHS/OHS legislation and instruments (such as underpayments)
• Train organisers and officials in how to fully utilise industrial and WHS/OHS legislation to facilitate vists, audits and inspections.
• Work with the campaigns team and Chief of campaigns to identify target sites, companies, supply chains for improvement.
• Work with the legal teams in National Office and Branches to prepare and pursue prosecutions.
• Appear in relevant tribunals
• Liaise with staff in other departments of the union to achieve success for the campaign.
• Build and manage relationships with staff in TWU state branches.
The successful applicant will ideally have:
• A proven track record as a union or industry legal officer, industrial officer, safety officer or organiser.
• Experience in transport or related industries is a plus.
• The ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• An ability to draft legal documents and notices.
• A willingness to understand and implement union growth strategies.
• Strong communications skills, including demonstrated ability to write reports.
• Good IT communications skills, including experience with Excel and digital communications.
• A commitment to labour values.
• The role will be based in our national office in Sydney, with interstate travel.
To apply, forward a Cover Letter and CV to Emily McMillan, Chief of Campaigns, Transport Workers’ Union of Australia by email: email@example.com
For a confidential discussion about this role, please contact Emily McMillan, Tel: 02 8114 6500.