|Company:||Australian Council of Trade Unions|
|Telephone:||03 9664 7333|
|Apps close:||Friday 20th September 2019|
Do you have a passion social justice and would like to be part of team to make a difference for working people?
This is an exciting permanent position working at the peak body for the Australian union movement, with the Industrial and Social Policy team.
- Excellent opportunity
- Great working conditions
- Melbourne based – 365 Queen Street Melbourne
- 15% Superannuation
The Legal and Industrial Officer is responsible for providing advice to the ACTU Officers and affiliated unions on employment and related legislation including undertaking research and advocacy on industrial and associated social and economic issues.
If you are successful you will be working with a team of highly regarded experienced union lawyers and economic and social policy officers.
1. The provision of industrial advice to affiliates and the ACTU Executive;
2. Appear before the industrial relations tribunals and parliamentary inquiries;
3. As part of team conduct significant cases before the Fair Work Commission, including minimum wages adjustments, test cases and the establishment and review of modern awards;
4. Provide advice regarding strategic litigation;
5. Research and develop industrial and associated social & economic policy matter as required, including preparation of submissions to government agencies, and other relevant bodies and speech writing;
6. Represent the ACTU in a variety of forums including consultative bodies and working parties and present papers on behalf of the organisation;
7. Assist affiliate unions in major industrial campaigns and litigation and assist affiliates conduct negotiations with major employers;
8. Prepare and make recommendations to the ACTU Secretary regarding a range of industrial issues;
9. Service committees of the Executive
10. Prepare publications, including fact sheets, training resources, and wages and employment rights publications
11. Perform other responsibilities as required.
12. The Legal and Industrial Officer is required to provide legal advice to the ACTU officers upon request.
Key selection criteria:
• Comprehensive knowledge of contemporary industrial relations issues
• A knowledge of state and federal industrial legislation and related legislation (e.g. Corporations, trade practices, superannuation, social security and taxation laws as they affect employment)
• Experience in advocacy and negotiation
• Working knowledge of economic and labour market concepts
• Commitment to and passion for the values of the ACTU and the union movement generally
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent research and analytical skills
• Ability to plan and prioritise work
• Computer literacy and keyboard skills
• Relevant tertiary qualifications - law, economics, legal studies, politics or social policy and/or Work Experience
Salary appropriate to skills and experience.
15% superannuation and other excellent conditions apply.
For a full copy of the position description please contact email@example.com or 03 96647333
Applications must include a resume, cover letter including a response to the selection criteria.
Please forward applications by no later than 5pm 20th September 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org