|Company:||Electrical Trades Union of Australia|
|Telephone:||02 9663 3699|
|Facsimile:||02 9633 5599|
|Apps close:||Monday 19th August 2019|
The Electrical Trades Union of Australia (ETU) is one of Australia’s leading campaigning Trade Unions, representing around 64,000 Electrical workers throughout Australia.
We are seeking a highly skilled and dynamic communications specialist to join our National Office.
The national communications co-ordinator is responsible for the messaging, campaign communications, member communications, social media and media relations for the national office of the Electrical Trades Union.
Reporting to the National Secretary, you will have excellent writing skills and be able to take high- quality photos and videos and operate a range of digital elements on diverse platforms and on social media.
The role requires an adaptable, intelligent and determined individual who is comfortable working to tight and competing deadlines in an issues-rich environment.
You should be comfortable with, or able to become quickly conversant with, the fundamentals of news and press release writing, media management, long and short form copy, social media management, photography, video editing and digital campaigning.
This is a role in which relationships are crucial and you will be liaising with and handling multiple stakeholders with competing and overlapping priorities.
Based in our Sydney office, your duties will include but not be limited to:
• Providing high-level media, communication support and advice to the National Secretary and other Senior Officials as required;
• Writing press releases, monitoring media and generating positive media coverage aligned with the strategic goals of the organisation;
• Developing integrated online and offline communications in support of ETU campaigns and workplace organising;
• Managing media contractors and other external providers;
• Liaising with state ETU offices, other unions and peak bodies to co-ordinate communications and campaign activity;
• Managing and updating all aspects of social media assets, web pages and digital member communications;
• Planning, writing and producing monthly digital member communications;
• Planning, writing and producing yearly print member communications;
• Producing messaging for campaigns;
• Managing inquiries from the media in response to media releases or issues;
• Monitoring, analysing and providing reports on mainstream media, social media and campaigns;
• Directing external designers and agencies;
• Tertiary qualification in Media / Communications.
• Three or more years’ experience in one of the following fields - corporate affairs, news media, digital production, political campaigning, not-for-profit organisations, public/media relations.
• An understanding of and commitment to union values, principles and objectives of the ETU and the Australian union movement.
• Highly developed verbal and written skill levels.
• Experience monitoring, moderating and editing forums and social media platforms in real time, using the range of social media tools available.
• Competency with Website development and maintenance skills.
• Multimedia production skills and experience building e-newsletters.
• Photography and Photoshop skills, or similar image editing software.
• Capacity to exercise judgement, discretion and initiative in a high-profile and politicised working environment.
• The ability to work autonomously and as part of a team and rapidly develop and apply competence in previously unfamiliar areas and techniques.
• The ability to proactively establish and maintain appropriate relationships with state ETU offices, other unions, peak bodies, political and media figures.
• Willing and able to take direction as required and a strong work ethic.
What we're offering
• Permanent full-time opportunity based in Rosebery, Sydney.
• Competitive remuneration package with great working conditions.
• Friendly and supportive team environment where your efforts are valued.
• A unique opportunity to work for an organisation where your contributions will improve the lives of Electrical workers and their families.
To apply to join our strong, proud Union send us your CV and cover letter by Monday, 19th August 2019 to email@example.com
Early applications encouraged. This position is available for immediate start.