|Company:||Department of Jobs and Small Business|
|Apps close:||Monday 27th May 2019|
Workplace Relations Legal Group | Canberra, Act
Principal Government Lawyer Executive Level 2
Reference Number: 19/0413
The Workplace Relations Legal Group manages the implementation of the Government's legislation program for workplace relations, work health and safety and workers’ compensation. We provide legal advice to the Australian Government, oversee the preparation of relevant legislation and regulations, assist in the preparation of parliamentary submissions and manage legal proceedings before the Courts and the Fair Work Commission.
We are looking for applicants who have strong legal analysis skills, are good problem solvers, have excellent communication skills and can work collaboratively with colleagues and stakeholders. Experience in providing legal advice on aspects of workplace relations law, work health and safety and/or workers’ compensation is highly desirable.
You will lead a small team to:
• undertake legal and policy research and analysis and report on workplace relations, work health and safety and/or workers’ compensation issues, including legislative developments and decisions of courts and tribunals
• work collaboratively to prepare or settle complex correspondence and briefing material
• prepare or settle legal advice on a range of complex matters
• represent the Department as appropriate and manage relationships with stakeholders
• prepare or settle drafting instructions, settle draft legislation and other related material and undertake tasks associated with Parliamentary consideration of legislation
• manage Commonwealth litigation, including preparing or settling Commonwealth submissions for court and tribunal hearings
• manage legislative and related legal policy projects, and
• promote the principles and practices of workplace diversity, work health and safety and staff development and training.
- a degree in Laws from an Australian university or equivalent
- admission as a legal practitioner, however described, of the High Court or the Supreme Court of an Australian State or Territory
This is a designated security assessed position. The successful applicant will be required to obtain and maintain a security assessment at the Baseline level. Applicants must be Australian Citizens.